London has been home to some of the most revered writers in history. Here are five of the most famous writers who have lived and worked in the city:
- Charles Dickens: The renowned English author was born in Portsmouth, but moved to London in his early twenties and wrote most of his beloved classics, such as Great Expectations, Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol, while living in the city.
- George Orwell: The author of Animal Farm and 1984 spent much of his life in London and his novels were often influenced by his life in the city.
- Virginia Woolf: The modernist writer and founder of the Bloomsbury Group is perhaps best known for her novel Mrs Dalloway. Woolf moved to the city in 1904 and wrote many of her works while living in London.
- J.K. Rowling: The author of the beloved Harry Potter series lived in London while writing the first four novels in the series.
- William Shakespeare: The Bard is perhaps the most famous of all London writers. He lived in the city for much of his life and wrote his most famous works, such as Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, while living in the city.
Come and visit us at www.LondonLiteraryPubCrawl.com